welcome to the organic green doctor blog

i am a family physician who was diagnosed with
early mild cognitive impairment(mci) amnestic type on december 21, 2010
this is a precursor to alzheimers disease
because of this diagnosis i have opted to stop practicing medicine
this blog will be about my journey with this disease
please feel free to follow me along this path
i will continue blogging on organic gardening, green living,
solar power, rainwater collection, and healthy living
i will blog on these plus other things noted to be interesting

Monday, October 19, 2020

covid 19-herd immunity


if you want to know how herd immunity works or should i say doesnt work all you have to do is look at small pox

small pox use to decimate the world in waves for centuries
it never was able to achieve herd immunity
it never was under control until we as a world had a highly effective vaccine
it now has been irradiated

herd immunity when you listen to true scientist and not politicians doesnt ever work in infections like covid 19 unless there is a highly effective vaccine and folks do those things that we all know you should be doing

when you hear politicians and others spout we should just let herd immunity take over to control this covid 19 pandemic
this is what would happen
look around you
look at your parents grandparents your immunocompromised relatives those with at risk diseases like asthma diabetes heart disease kidney disease obesity etc
many of them wont be around if we try to do herd immunity
only 10% of us have been exposed so far and look what its done so just imagine if the other 90% of us get exposed

what devastation to our economy and to our health would occur

basically the idea with herd immunity is you let the kids and young adults all get infected since they dont usually get real sick
well most of them dont but a few do and die

you protect all those vulnerable folks like my wife she and i and mr hudson and my mother in law so they we wont get infected
i guess they would just lock us all up

right now the wave this third wave of the first wave or is it the second big wave weve heard about since march and thats starting to hit us now
all states are seeing an uptick of cases well maybe a few arent but most are
we are just starting this second wave season
its predicted that we will lose another 200,000+ folks from covid 19 by march

if you use this herd immunity then multiple that by either 3 or 4 or 5 or some say 10 times
those who die will be your loved ones
none of our families will be spared a covid 19 death

you have only two choices to control this thing
herd immunity is not one of them

one is to do those things we all know we need to do

wear a mask

when you see someone without a mask just know they dont respect you and they must not like their at risk relatives very much or even themselves

keep your distance and 6 ft is probably not far enough

avoid groups
just remember the most dangerous get togethers this year may be thanksgiving and christmas get togethers
if you do them i would say enjoy them since some of those folks there if they are at risk may not be there for the 2021 holidays
avoid superspreader events
that big ole bike rally in the dakotas is probably the largest superspreader event so far leaving hundreds of covid 19 cases in its wake

avoid those high risk situations like those above and bars and indoor restaurants and sporting events and parties and well if you have any sense youll know what they are

wash your hands
the covid 19 can stay on your skin for up to 8 hours

when its your time to get the vaccine when it becomes available please get it
for most of us that will if things go right that will be next summer or fall
even when you get the vaccine this next year you will still need to do all those things above
if we dont
we may not ever get to return back to a normal life again
will be like they use to be in the small pox era

in summary
dont listen to the herd immunity talk
get your flu shot this year
if you are older get your pneumonia shot
when the covid 19 vaccine gets here and its your turn to get it then get it for all our sakes
wear a mask
keep your distance
avoid gatherings
wash your hands

if i do it and you dont then neither of us are helped much

we are about to enter the darkest months over the next 3-4 months of this pandemic
how it turns out will be based on what each individual does to be safe

the organicgreen doctor

No comments:

Post a Comment